07-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Hey, Litos:

I'm just as happy Lin was freed from Houston as you are to get rid of him BUT, if you look at all of Morey's deals to date, Houston just comes up a BIG loser.

No Brooks (for Hamilton who was hardly used last year)
No Asik (for nothing except a 1st round draft pick from the Pels)
No Lin (for nothing and had to give up a draft pick, probably the same one the Pels gave up)
No Melo (re-signed w/Knicks)
No LeBron (signed w/the Cavs)
No Bosh (re-signed w/the Heat after the Rocs agreed to trade Lin to LA, which was a big FU to Houston from Bosh)

probably No Love because he's already had his fill of McHale and the Cavs are wooing him to join LeBron

probably No Rondo because he's probably better off staying in Boston where he'll continue to be the big cheese and won't have to give the ball to Harden

and maybe NO Parsons unless Morey is willing to pay him $46M for 3 years if they match the Mav's offer for him.

Do you think Parson's is worth $15.3M/year? I don't and, if you're honest, I don't think you do either. But, unless Morey wants to entirely rebuild the team around just Harden and Howard, he really has no choice but to match the Mav's offer, which puts him in an overbidding situation again.

I know you didn't think Lin was worth the $, but he wasn't being paid $15M next year because Morey thought he was "worth" it -- it was a poison pill to keep NY from matching the offer he made to get Lin in the 1st place. The "average" cost over 3 years was "just $8.3M/year, which was well w/in the market value for him and why that's the amount it "costs" against LA's cap this coming year. But, despite what you say, LA isn't paying $15M to Lin this year just to rent his services and clear cap space.

Anyone paying that much for his services will expect him to contribute to the team and in LA, Lin has a chance to actually play and prove himself before becomes an unrestricted free agent. For whatever reason, he was never given that chance in Houston and I'm looking forward to Kobe & Lin sticking it to the Rockets in their upcoming games next year. I'll admit that, if he fails to break out in LA, that will probably be it for him -- at least in the NBA. But, he'll have excellent mentors in Nash, Kobe and maybe even Magic. So, his prospects for success are the best they have ever been.

But, if his career in the NBA is over after next year, which I doubt, he'll have been paid $25M for 3 years of "work" and at 27 or 28 years old he can go back to graduate school for an MBA or an advanced degree in economics, or maybe just do advertising spots and/or public speaking engagements in Asia (and around the college circuit) where he's extremely popular, or just devote himself to his Christian ministry or maybe do all of the above.

In any event, Lin will be laughing all the way to the bank. Way to go JLin!!!!

Last edited by SSW; 07-11-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0