United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1220 View Post
My PSS aren't directional, though. They're marked outside/inside. I assume you wouldn't do that for those? Also, for people who do a lot of tire changes (and do their own work), does anyone actually buy a tire machine and balancer? Something I'd be tempted to do in the future.
Correct. Your PSS are not directional, but they are asymmetric and employ dual tread compounds as one design strategy i.e. the outer tread shoulder compound is dry focused and different to the inner tread shoulder compound which is more wet focused.

The practice of flipping the tires on the rim has merit only in a dry track environment and only when a homogenous tread compound is employed with a non directional tread design. The Michelin PS2, PSS and PS4S tire product lines all use asymmetric, dual compound, design strategies. Hence, there is a reason why their inner sidewall states "Inside".

To paraphrase what others have already stated in earlier posts: With some tires, used solely on a dry track, flipping them on the rim has been done to extend tire life in a track application. However, one has to be very careful of the engineering constraints designed into the product to avoid not degrading dry grip, vehicle balance, and stability [assuming a dry track].

For example: Below is a photo of an OEM PSCup 2 tire that uses 3 different compounds across the face of its tread. So flipping this type of tire can reduce dry grip when the alternative wet compound focused tread shoulder faces the outside.

Here's an illustration of the PS4S dual compound design strategy.

And PSS

Source link and other more detailed information:
https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin-...ed-the-same/4/
Not to confuse things any further, but if a directional tire were to be flipped on the rim and used in a wet environment its tread will actually pump water "into" the contact patch rather than away from it.. This is the reason why directional tires use a marking of some type to indicate the direction of rotation in service.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 05-31-2022 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 4