View Single Post
      04-23-2024, 03:59 PM   #17
s_ribs
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 535i xDrive M-Sport, E30

Garage List
My last car needed to be very economical, and also as fun as possible to drive. That car ended up being a 2015 VW Golf tdi and I'd highly recommend considering one. I loath front wheel drive cars but it really wasn't bad in this car (except when I wanted to have fun in the snow). It's a really fun car to drive and excellent on long freeway trips too. My only regret was not being willing/able to afford the wagon varient. But I was quite impressed on the space for what looks like a tiny car (nearly as much as early Honda CR-V's for a comparison).

I think the worst average mpg I got was ~37 with LOTS of in town driving and the best was ~48 mpg (all hwy of course). Mine was a 6-speed manual which I believe were ever so slightly better than their dsg.

You should be able to find them with another 1-1.5 years of dieselgate warranty left if that makes any difference. Well under the $25k budget too.

This is my only suggestion based on personal experience. I don't have much else to contribute here. They can always come back to a BMW, and likely enjoy it more, once done with school.
Appreciate 0