lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
As a Mexican who is proud of his country - even with all our very large problems - and working to do my part to improve it down here, I feel very sad about several of the very uninformed comments above and thankful for those who understand that this has no bearing on future BMW's quality.

I have to chip in. I had friends from our local BMW Club yesterday at that ceremony.

Please consider a few facts:

1. Mexico is a booming auto manufacturing hub. Audi, VW, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, GM, and Mercedes all have plants here.

2. We build close to 4M cars per year for world markets.

3. Quality is as good as anywhere. The exceptions have been limited to a specific manufacturer/plant (VW at Puebla for a while, now fixed) and have nothing to do with Mexico as a whole.

4. The plant here is better for the US than anywhere else in the world except for the US itself. Supply chains are very integrated due to NAFTA and tons of US suppliers will benefit from having the plant this close compared to anywhere else in the world except the US itself or Canada. Would you be complaining so hard about a new BMW plant anywhere else?

5. Mexico is not a dump. It is a middle-income country on its way to becoming a developed one. We are the 13th largest economy in the world. We have a huge corruption problem but there are millions of us here who are middle class and fighting to get that fixed every day.

6. Economic development here helps both the US and Mexico. It triggers more US exports here and diminishes the pressure for illegal immigration.

I hope that most BMW fans in the US will over time be able to approach this with an open mind.

Saludos desde México.
I am not worried about quality from Mexican plants, but I still would not buy a Mexican made BMW. Mexico is best known for burritos, Tecate, Tijuana donkey shows, piñatas, and cartel beheadings.

It would just feel wrong buying a finely engineered German vehicle that was produced in such a place.

Also, Mexico is not a middle income country. Mexico ranks somewhere around 67th in the world for per capita GDP, slightly ahead of countries such as Botswana and Turkmenistan.
BMW Production Network by Country:

USA
Germany
Egypt
Italy
India
U.K.
Indonesia
Russia
Mexico
Austria
Malaysia
Brazil
Thailand
South Africa
China

So if party favors, sluts, assassinations, and delicious street food ruin the cache and quality of the car, everything should be built in Austria.
Appreciate 0