Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
It wont be FWD but it's built on a FWD platform. Audis are pretty well known for their understeer.
having driven different types of Audis and BMWs fairly extensively i can tell you that the stereotype that Audis 'understeer' is true but blown way out of proportion.

In addition to my 1M which oversteers like a stabbed raccoon......i also own a 1st generation MK1 Audi TT Coupe (which IMO is a total classic design). In stock form, the car was very very neutral when driven hard. I remember tracking it at Road America shortly after i got it and it was stock (it is now very much modified) and i kept up easily with a Porsche 964 around every corner and remembering if anything it had a twitchy tail that wanted to slide out a bit. Is there understeer? YES.....is it controllable with the right driving technique? absolutely.

I still drive the TT from time to time and feel it is a lot of fun to drive and throw around. Of course the modifications i've made make it very stiff and neutral....but it's punchy and small and fun to squirt around in a way that is different than BMWs. You can feel the traction everywhere and that has a certain amount of appeal. In addition to that, it's amazing how people still love the 1st generation TT....get asked about it everywhere i take it and get people offering to buy it from me. It really is the definition of an 'iconic' car design.....even though it's not that 'rare' or anything.

That being said....this "4 door" TT is disgusting. An insult to the original idea.

Last edited by IEDEI; 10-02-2014 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0