View Single Post
      10-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #17
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

I also owned a first gen TT and modded it like most frequent forumers.
IMO, the quattro is garbage - I'll take any RWD 3 series with AS tires vs a Quattro TT on any tire. Secondly, their manual transmission feels like it came straight from the cheapest VW product they make, it is nowhere near as smooth shifting as any manual BMW I've owned. Third, their stock suspension is hard like a rock but doesn't equate to good handling. BMW stock suspension is "soft" but handles much much better than my TT. Forth, they understeer too much.

I've owned 2 Audis in the past (TT and A4) and will never buy any VW or Audi again unless maybe an R8 or their RS lines but then again, I'd get an M instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
having driven different types of Audis and BMWs fairly extensively i can tell you that the stereotype that Audis 'understeer' is true but blown way out of proportion.

In addition to my 1M which oversteers like a stabbed raccoon......i also own a 1st generation MK1 Audi TT Coupe (which IMO is a total classic design). In stock form, the car was very very neutral when driven hard. I remember tracking it at Road America shortly after i got it and it was stock (it is now very much modified) and i kept up easily with a Porsche 964 around every corner and remembering if anything it had a twitchy tail that wanted to slide out a bit. Is there understeer? YES.....is it controllable with the right driving technique? absolutely.

I still drive the TT from time to time and feel it is a lot of fun to drive and throw around. Of course the modifications i've made make it very stiff and neutral....but it's punchy and small and fun to squirt around in a way that is different than BMWs. You can feel the traction everywhere and that has a certain amount of appeal. In addition to that, it's amazing how people still love the 1st generation TT....get asked about it everywhere i take it and get people offering to buy it from me. It really is the definition of an 'iconic' car design.....even though it's not that 'rare' or anything.

That being said....this "4 door" TT is disgusting. An insult to the original idea.

Appreciate 0