07-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius Joel View Post
What are some nice watches that I can get for around a grand?
With very few exceptions -- Stauer and Daniel Steiger being two that come readily to mind -- no watch costing about $1000 isn't nice. That holds true also for pre-owned pieces purchased from reputable sellers. As a result, there are thousands of watches that will meet the description of "nice."

Provided your requirements are not for something unusual or hard to find, you can get a very nice watch for considerably less than $1000. Some brands that come to mind and that are less commonly seen "in the wild" are Deep Blue (professional dive watches), Archimede (multiple types), Vostok (multiple types), Steinhart (multiple types), Sea-gull (multiple types), Obris Morgan (professional looking desk divers) and Limes (various types).

If you prefer to have a brand that is widely known, any Seiko or Citizen will be a nice watch that will perform well and require little from you other than that you just wear it and enjoy and both can be found at literally thousands of retailers. As with the brands noted earlier, there are plenty of nice ones costing well below $1000, too many specific models to cite here.

Search for threads created by me in the Watches sub-forum, you'll find several that have pics of all sorts of watches at all sorts of price points. The one thing all the pictured watches have in common is that they are all nice.

If you would be good enough to offer some specific criteria and their significance to you (must have, prefer, don't care, etc.), I'd be glad to offer a few specific suggestions. The types of criteria I mean are things like:
  • Style: round, square, color, sleek and modern, traditional, non-descript/plain, numbers or markers, bracelet (leather, rubber, cloth) or strap, etc.
  • Type: mechanical or quartz
  • Type: diver, field, no specific genre
  • Functions: time, time + date, chronograph, integrates with your smartphone, something else...
  • Need or preference for a glow in the dark dial, hands, or bezel
  • Intended use: sport, dress, general, etc.
  • Size preference if you have one. This is probably easiest for you to express, for example, in terms of whether the watch needs to fit easily under dress shirt cuffs, or in terms of whether you are a big, medium or smallish framed person, or if you are more than 20 lbs. overweight.
  • Whether you seek "ooh la la" appeal: There is little to be had at $1K and below -- which is why I pointed out that you really don't have to spend $1000 to get a nice watch -- but still if it's a criterion, it is. If "ooh la la" in a brand name is something you want, you'll pretty much have to buy pre-owned vintage pieces such as a '60s or '70s era Omega, which is still a nice watch. Beyond that, you won't get much in the way of brand cache for $1000. Triple your spending limit and you can come by a pre-owned Rolex.
All the best.

PS
The ones suggested earlier in this thread are nice too. That I don't specifically mention this or that brand just means I didn't mention it, not that it's not nice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0