01-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #70
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
You are defining a RACE CAR not a sports car. A sports car is a road car built with performance in mind, while not heavily compromising to make the car utilitarian. IE a minivan can never be a sports car.
That is your interpretation of what I said. I am not talking about a race car for the track with the seats ripped out and support beams in back. I am talking about a road-ready speed and performance focused car that of uncompromised design. You are couching this standard with your "not heavily compromising" language.

A convertible is a compromise. I'm sorry to break that to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
If you think a corvette is not a sports car, then you are simply delusional and have no idea what the definition of a sports car is, so clearly discussing any of this with you is pointless.

Ok. I'll ignore the delusional comment and highlight your point regarding the Corvette. This may be the best litmus test to illustrate my point.

Let's break this down:

1) The Corvette is a sports car.
2) The Corvette convertible is a lesser version of the Corvette in terms of rigidity, balance and weight. Its first priority is not to performance, but to let the wind blow through your hair. A nice benefit when touring.

1) There is no Z4 hardtop offering presently, and thus a vacuum in the BMW line.
2) The convertible Z4 is a lesser version of that vacuum.

It is the vacuum I take issue with... not the merits of the very nice Z4 convertible.

Are you comprendo-ing me now?

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0