pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yeah you’re right - the more I think about it, the more I realize the tone I specifically want is almost certainly the result of the longer scale length. I think my hands are just locked in 25.5in so I’ll just have to break out of that which should be a fun challenge! These days I primarily judge guitars by their playability and acoustic qualities these days since once they’re plugged in, pickups can be tailored to the guitar’s resonance and tonal qualities. I assume it is similar with bass? Obviously though I’m not well versed enough with bass to judge them acoustically as my ear hasn’t been trained to it. The next step for me I think will just be getting a consensus good all around bass (P Bass seems like a safe bet) and just playing to develop technique and decide what tonal qualities I like.
I always try out a bass unplugged before I plug it in. I'll even put my chin on the top horn to get direct feel for the tone and find any "dead spots" on the neck. If it doesn't sound good to my ears (and chin) acoustically, unplugged, I don't bother plugging it in.

You'll get used to the longer scale, just as a sax player gets used to switching between a tenor and an alto sax.