View Single Post
      07-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #48
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Goda View Post
Why does M need to be profitable? Thought the idea of a halo range was to shift the more affordable units below, M3s sell more 318s. Comparing with Porsche is moot, their elite sporting range is RS to BMWs M, I've got a large hat here I'll happily eat if we ever see Porsche produce a Cayanne RS.
As I said I think M GmbH is a standalone business. A separate enterprise that should be independent financially. That's BMW's philosophy. They won't accept making losses in M GmbH to produce some halo cars like VW did with the Bugatti Veyron. BMW likes to be profitable in every single step of its business (to make it simple). I support that philosophy because it is that too that makes BMW as a group so healthy now in comparison to their rivals. Let alone Audi that has got the VW backing and economies of scale privileges. After all F1 is the biggest "halo" there is and BMW ditched it for the sake of saving resources and I value that. It was a brave and right (however criticized) move to be taken at that time.

Anyways the RS brand is not comparable to M GmbH. M is more likely comparable to the Porsche as a whole than to RS alone. Ok I admit the Cayenne is the anomaly here. But there was a Cayenne GTS nevertheless.
It's more AMG and Quattro GmbH that are comparable to M.

Last edited by lasovan; 07-08-2011 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0