07-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #50
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by euvnairb View Post
From an American consumer standpoint this really doesn't mean a thing. M SAV's dilute the brand here. It's not like BMW is giving our market sweet M cars such as the CSL, GTS, or CRT. BMW isn't like Porsche where it uses profits generated from SUV's and sedans to give us cars such as the GT3/GT2 RS. BMW isn't like mercedes which slaps an AMG badge on every car but gives us machines the like its black series or SLS.

It's not like I can afford any of those cars but what you're saying is that these M suv's are here to give us performance M cars. That's not something that us outside Europe/Asia can take advantage of.
I definitely understand what you're saying. It's also important to note that the M SAVs are what gave us the 1M... Maybe I was wrong in saying "special editions" but its definitely true that the low volume, no profit cars that we see as special and geared to the enthusiast, are made possible by these volume sellers.

Another point I'd like to bring up is, if ///M makes a car that suits the enthusiast well and provides to be a competition killer, why care what else they offer. If it takes some ///M SUVs to bring you an M3 Lightweight or CRT... Why the fuss? They're always going to produce a car that suits the enthusiast regardless of what other cars they produce.

BMW ///M has to be profitable on its own. Afterall, it is a business and BMW has/is making an attempt to really separate it into its own sub-brand instead of just an in-house tuning company. It has to make money. It wont make money producing the ridiculous 2,200 pound, carbon fiber roof, manual transmission only, stripped out track racer cars that all of the forum members seem to want.

Once again... You guys have no idea what it takes to run a business. You cant ALWAYS think like a consumer.

Last edited by Jblack4083; 07-08-2011 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0