Thread: Panerai
View Single Post
      06-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I like the look of the Pams, but I hate the size of most of them (they have a few 40/42 mm models). I think if one just wants a Pam and has the money for it, go ahead and get one. There are some models that are collectible, but they are all going to be pre-owned purchases and they will be extremely expensive.

Some Pams are in-house and some aren't. If one is buying for the look and to have a quality watch, that's irrelevant. If one is seeking to resell the thing later, go with an in-house model.

I don't own a Pam, so I can't speak to the ownership experience. Check with your local watchmakers to find out if they can handle service and maintenance on them. If they can, you shouldn't have any trouble. The thing you are trying to find out is if you can avoid the long wait times that are common when sending a watch back to the maker for service, and, of course, avoiding paying premium the makers charge for service. In that sense, it's quite like taking your BMW to the BMW store for routine service versus taking it to a qualified mechanic once the BMW free maintenance period has expired. (That's so for any high-dollar mechanical watch, not just Panerai.)

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0