View Single Post
      03-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #72
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Well, the F10 M5 is rumored to be getting the 4.4L turbo V8 that is going into the new X5 M and X6 M, and that motor is itself based on the 4.4L turbo V8 (N63) in the X6 xDrive50i. We'll see though, its just rumor so far. But if it is true, then I am skeptical that it could possible be a high revving motor. It's a shame that they didn't use the S65 for the basis of that motor instead of the N63. Or maybe there is still hope that they did, or at least that the M5 motor did/will. We'll know the first part of the story soon, since X5/X6 M specs are due next month in New York.
Willisch said that we will see the S63 in another model (besides X5/6 M). So it's quite a safe bet that this will be the engine of the next M5. KERS is set for that model also.
The rumor says that BMW spent quite some effort to make an S63 out of the N63. Let's wait some more days to learn about the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
that sucks.....do you people even wonder how long will those engines last for example a 4cl. turbo with some 300hp?....or a 6cl. turbo with 400hp or even more for the next M3?.... I expect a V8 again or a V8 turbo for the next M3 since this one is V8 , also M5M6 V10 not to go V8 at least stay on the same level or improve ur V10....
That's not likely. Willisch, head of the M divison, told a magazine that it's almost sure that the next M3 will be powered by a six cylinder, and that this engine won't be based on N54.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0