View Single Post
      03-29-2024, 08:05 PM   #2612
conandrum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71

Last week I noticed that my reversing camera was not showing properly.
It had red colour everywhere and loads of distortion.
It all started when I had to replace my original Android harness because it was not transfering audio correctly via the harness itself (audio would play on some speakers and when moving it around the sound would return).

After replacing the harness I noticed this camera problem. In a similar way, the camera picture would sometimes return when the OEM harness was moved around.
I removed the OEM quadlock connector from the Android harness and then removed the X13814 plug. I noticed that the pins were loose from the factory. I extended their locking mechanism and reinserted. I put things back together but the problem persisted.

To cut a very long story, short, I unraveled the tape surrounding the RGB wire all the way to its root (8cm or so) and noticed that the white wire (GND) was severed and the black wire (SHIELD) was nearly cut too. These wires are soldered onto 2 separate layers of braided mesh wires surrounding the 3 RGB wires. Each layer of braided mesh is separated by non-conducting transparent film. These braided mesh wires are very thin and can become brittle at the solder joints. Moving the quadlock in, out and about had a detrimental efect on these joints.

So I went ahead and soldered new wires with new pins to each layer and did the same for the RGB wires also. I used shrink tubing individually and another for all 5 wires and wrapped everything in fabric tape.
I put every pin back in position and replaced the plug in the quadlock.

When connected to the CCC, the camera finally worked properly.

Unfortunately I only took a photo of one side of the X13814 plug before removing the black shield wire. So when I followed a diagram I found online, I place the shield wire into pin#12 instead of pin#11. Even so everything works properly, but I think I should replace it tomorrow ).
ALWAYS TAKE PHOTOS!!!
And always check your own wiring diagrams in ISTA - do not rely on online diagrams!
Thanks @RedErik for helping out with the connection diagrams!

Here are some photos!

PS. Next afternoon, I just bit the bullet and moved the pin from #12 to #11.
Took me about an hour from start to finish. see last photo
Attached Images

Last edited by conandrum; 04-03-2024 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 1