03-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Other Car's Functions Thread

OK, I just came up with the idea of this topic when I had to drive my GF's car to drop it off for maintenance and quickly realized a few quirks. It's hard to summarize it in a few words, but thinking of the last time you swapped cars, whether it's a 2nd frequently driven car (SO's, company car, etc.) or another one that you just drive once in a while...
  • What are some things that have become "muscle memory" in your car, but you'd reach for it and it's something completely different or nonexistent?
  • What is something that you like on your Bimmer that other cars don't that makes adapting to the car... Interesting (and vice versa)?

My car vs. '97 Acura CL:
* Trying to change channels on her car but wound up honking the horn
* Pushing an imaginary button on the dash to start her car (I was still waking up; her car has the traditional toothed key but she put it in the ignition for me so that threw me off more easily )
* Going back to my old car... Despite being on opposite ends of the steering wheel and being 2 years since I've driven that car, the directions to push/pull the cruise control switch for various functions (e.g. up and down is "Res/Accel" and "Set/Decel" in Toyotas, while it's "off" on the E90... Took me a MONTH just to unlearn that!)
* The fact that everything is so dim, from the fact that there's only a single dim "nightlight" in the roof vs. my car's 2 domes, 2 footwells, 2 puddle lamps and an LED array on each door handle when you open the door, all the way to the non-directional halogen vs. my automatic HIDs.

What other quirks do you guys have? Yes, even the imaginary clutch story going from manual to auto would work.
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 03-25-2014 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0