03-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #52
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
In this Bottas onboard video from yesterday's free practice in Australia it looks like the guess that these new F1 cars are being torque driven with rather extreme short shifting might be true. He spends most time in the 8k rpm area and the rev counter never go to 12k or above.
Here is a "nice" compilation that shows the shifting tactics by several drivers. It's FAR worse than I had anticipated. I never once saw 13.000rpm's and it isn't strange that these new engines sound bad!!! It's not like we've gone from 18k to 15k, no we dropped to 10-11k!!!

The 100kg fuel limit seems to be the major culprit. To be able to preserve fuel and make the 100kg's last the whole race, they have to be around 10k rpm's...

My view is that they probably need to keep the revs at around 10k to maximize their fuel efficiency and perhaps also because of the max fuel flow limits. Going above 11-12k makes no sense as they both consume to much fuel at that part of the rev range and also perhaps because they can't flow enough fuel to make any more power above those rpm's.

I guess qualifying tomorrow will answer whether it's just fuel conservation that is the reason behind this or whether the fuel flow limit also is a factor. Because there is no need to save fuel during qualy they should be able to rev to 15k to extract maximum Power. If they don't rev to 15k, then there seems to not be enough fuel flow to support an increase in power above 11-12k...

Last edited by Boss330; 03-14-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0