10-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #153
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto View Post
BMW consumers (at least historically) want a car that has more dynamic and sporting appeals than the competition, and RWD plays a huge part in giving BMWs that dynamic edge, even if only a small part of the consumers (us, enthusiasts) is actually aware of how it works. But a FWD 1er has no difference in comparison to an a3 or an A-Klasse, except for the design and the badge.

Unfortunately, though, that just means that the consumer profile of bmw will change - enthusiasts will have to look elsewhere since their cars no longer have that dynamic edge, and all that's left will be badge whores and poseurs. A pity, really.
I think the consumer profile of BMW has already changed, certainley it has here in the UK, and I'd say that as much as 80%+ of BMW buyers in the UK are badge whores and poseurs, rather than enthusiasts.

I loathe fwd cars, they are like kitchen appliances.

I've unfortunately had to own/drive a lot of fwd cars during my 30+ years driving, and only 3 stand out as being fun and interesting to own/drive, and with two of them that was largely because they had longitudinal engine/trannys rather than traditional fwd transverse engine layouts.

Those 3 were:-

Saab 900 T16S
Alfasud Ti
Morris/Austin Cooper S 1275