07-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru335i View Post
Welll if you can afford the new M4 do that. The S55 looks like an awesome engine to make power because it is factory turbo. We will see how reliable they are though.
There are A LOT less supercharged M3's than there are modified N54s so your impression that boosted S65's are more reliable than N54 is probably not accurate.
If you search around you will see quite a few people with S65 bearing failures even all stock and never tracked.
So...because the S65 has bearing issues, which I'm familiar with, means it's less reliable than an N54? I'm just saying, if you look at failure rates in all the different moving parts...pretty sure the S65 would come out on top. There is a reason BMW had to add extended warranties to our HPFP and wastegates... oh I remembered a few other things the N54 has going for it, valve cover gasket leaks, gummed valves(walnut blasting), and your serpentine set up can hit your sub-frame causing some fun.

I like the N54, nice engine. I have no disillusions it is a rock solid, low maintenance, or never going to act up.
Appreciate 0