07-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach1328 View Post
These are all issues a boosted s65 would have!
The DCT is actually not much stronger than the auto tranny in the 335i. A boosted s65 could easily have fuel issues. Water pumps are problematic in ALL BMW's - not just the n54. Also any car running high boost is going to eat up plugs, coils, and potentially injectors.
HPFP isn't a big issue considering the 10 year, 120,000 mile extended warranty. Its all about having a service rep who is ok with your car having a few mods on it.

Sure the turbo's can be problematic, but an aftermarket supercharger can be problematic just as easily. It really comes down to the luck of the draw IMO.

Main things for the n54 are going to be plugs, coils, injectors, and intake valve cleaning. Also, they commonly struggle with rough idles when modded. For example, right after I installed my JB4 I was getting cylinder 1 misfire. An easy diagnosis told me it was the spark plugs so changed those on my own very quickly and easily (~30 minute job). However, immediately after changing the plugs I have a rough idle but it runs like a beast over 800rpms and at WOT - no misfires anymore.

After modding a 335i its tough to keep it running at its prime, but with a little bit of patience and work its usually nothing serious. As I said, main things are going to be plugs, injectors, coils, HPFP, and intake valve cleaning.
Keep those up to date and you'll have a very happy n54!
I've never heard of water pumps or injectors being an issue in the S65. Also with supercharger kits you get new injectors. Do you have a link to a thread or some more info?

Rough idle can be multiple things, plugs, injectors, or coils.
Appreciate 0