11-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #78
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Suggestion to retire...that's something I don't get.
Its the last race, the chassis or engine doesn't have to be carried to "next race" or save the engine for the remainder of the season.

Unlike when Hamilton was asking to retire in Spa, Nico just want to see the checker flag to make himself feel better. I respect that and a very noble thing to do.

In the final two laps, Massa was losing grip and on the edge of of the cliff already. Thus he was only a bit faster than Hamilton at that stage. But nonetheless, a great race for Massa.
As I said before, I respect Nico for wanting to finish the race. One possible explanation (as an alternative to not wanting Nico to be lapped by Lewis) is, that, during a race, anything can happen. With no points on the table, with Nico virtually being a moving chicane, if he was involved in a collision he could get hurt. Yes, preserving the car is less of a concern, preserving the driver is of the highest priority, hence, my paraphrased quote from 'Rush'.

Just a thought.

#ForzaJules