View Single Post
      09-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your fooling yourself in thinking you will be able to "fix" your flat tire on the side of the road. I've had two flat tires in the last four years. Its not fun. But only real solution is to carry a spare tire and bmw jack kit.

When I had my first flat near the 'Ring(some 500 km's away from my home) I had a bmw mini spare tire. Even the guy from BMW assist said not to use the glue kit he carried. Because it will unbalance and make the trip home unbearable. Too much vibrations. Instead, I mounted my mini spare. And I hated it! 3.5 spare vs 8.5 wheel on the rear of the car. So much fish tailing and squirming around - even without getting on the throttle. Luckily, a friend lent me one of his winter tires, and I limped home at 135 mph!

Those mini spare tire's are only designed for short trips 45 mph and 45 miles. So it would have been trashed by the time I got back home. Or worse, also blow out.

The next week, I ordered a steel 17" winter wheel and a cheap summer tire. Its the only real solution. That is what I carry in the back of my 135i

Name:  spare tire 17 inch steel wheel from a 330i e46  MG_5306.jpg
Views: 5795
Size:  150.8 KB
Appreciate 1