09-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Your fooling yourself in thinking you will be able to "fix" your flat tire on the side of the road. I've had two flat tires in the last four years. Its not fun. But only real solution is to carry a spare tire and bmw jack kit.
I am in agreement with you. I don't believe there is road-side fix for a flat. However, I have seen the plugs (other brands) work effectively on regular tubeless tires, providing a near permanent solution. If these, claimed to be effective on run flat tires, even provide a bridge that is a few hours long, they would be worthwhile.

Regarding sealants and fillers....that is where I have my greatest doubt and see them as a last resort (bad weather, help hours away, worth running the TPMS for etc.) option only.

All these said, a few years ago my R500 picked up a flat, and it was one half of a a pair of scissors -a whole blade. No surgery, plug, sealant or tire shop could do anything about that. Realistically, I am looking at options that provide a 1-24 hour relief.

I am very interested in your input, other than carrying a spare. For my use, it is not an option unfortunately.

Thanks.