View Single Post
      08-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Racer wrote a cool article around the VIR improvements and some track history

Virginia International Raceway will offer a level playing field for its first TUDOR United SportsCar Championship event, next weekend’s Oak Tree Grand Prix.
While the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series raced at the Danville, Va., circuit from 2002 through 2011, and the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón competed there in 2012 and 2013, the 3.27-mile circuit was completed repaved and partially widened since last year’s race – among an extensive improvements program.
The track opened in 1957 and hosted major sports car events – including the first IMSA GT Series race in 1971 – before closing during an economic downturn in 1974. VIR reopened in 2000, with the repaved track maintaining its original 3.27-mile configuration.
“When it reopened it was basically the same as it was back then,” said Hurley Haywood, who won the IMSA GT races at VIR in 1971 and 1972 in addition to competing in the Rolex Series when the circuit reopened. “One of the complaints when they reopened was they didn’t make it any wider, which would have been nice.”
For 2014, Haywood’s concerns have been addressed. While the track maintains its original racing line, the track was widened by six feet at several locations to allow easier passing.
“I loved the way the track was before, but now it’s even better,” said Patrick Long, driver of the No. 912 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR and a DP winner at the circuit in 2006. “In the past there were a few sections that were a little too narrow for side-by-side battles. Now, they’ve widened the track in certain sections and changed the curb layout. I think it’s going to bring a whole new flow to the track.
“Based on how much the track management reached out to the pro drivers, I think it was well thought out and will be done really well.”
Other improvements included moving the start/finish line to just after the pit exit, allowing better viewing for spectators as well as positioning the finish on a wider portion of the track.
In addition, the north paddock was completely repaved, including both previously paved and unpaved portions to ensure an even and smooth surface.
“They’ve done so many good upgrades over the years, and a huge overtaking this winter redoing the paddock, resurfacing the whole track, lighting, changing the curving,” said SRT Motorsports Dodge Viper SRT GTS-R driver Jonathan Bomarito, who visited the track earlier this year for a pre-event media day. “They really did an awesome job taking the drivers’ feedback and teams’ feedback and fans, spectators, everybody … It’s one of our favorite places to come.”*
Jan Magnussen won at VIR in a DP with Max Angelelli for Wayne Taylor Racing in 2004 and finished third in ALMS GT in 2012 with Antonio Garcia for Corvette Racing.
“The track itself is different from anywhere else we go,” Magnussen said. “It’s very interesting and very old-school. To me, it’s incredible driving there and a very huge challenge. It’s a technical race track and super quick. The Corvette does well there because in the past – and we still do – the car performs well with good mechanical grip and aero.”
Leh Keen also has been a frequent VIR competitor over the years, winning in 2012 in the ALMS GTC class with Cooper MacNeil in a WeatherTech Porsche 911 GT3 Cup.
“When I won there in it was on the old pavement,” Keen said. “I’m really happy with the work they’ve done. VIR is just up the road from me in Atlanta, and they’ve done a lot since we last raced there. They’ve completely repaved it, and widened it, and that should make it faster. I think it will be about two or three seconds faster when we come back. Everyone will be real excited to see the new surface and all the other changes they’ve done.”
Echoing the feelings of many of the drivers, Long was impressed by the active role of VIR management in enhancing the facility.
“Connie (Nyholm, owner/CEO) and Kerrigan (Smith, director of track operations) are so committed, and the feeling from them is it’s a passion first and a business second,” Long said. “Those are the types of people we need in the sport. They’re racers. I’m looking forward to going back to VIR – it’s a great market for sports car racing.”

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-21-2014 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0