View Single Post
      01-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #50
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
^ Well said m630

BMW used to occupy a sort of middle ground between a boring luxury brand like Lexus and an exciting enthusiast brand like Porsche. BMW used to be much closer to Porsche in their enthusiast/driver's credentials compared to their direct competitors Mercedes and Audi. This is the reason BMW has had such a following up to now.

Today however I would say the opposite. Mercedes has the Black Series Cars and the SLS, Audi has multiple RS cars and the R8. BMW has a fake M car (1M) and a few sporty-ish luxury cruisers with big engines (M3, M5, M6). I don't know about you guys but if I were buying something new or from the last 5 years based on enthusiasts/driver's credentials... BMW would come in a distant third to Audi and Mercedes. There's a reason the newest BMW I own is a 2005 MY M3, and the newest I've ever owned is a 2007 MY Z4M Coupe.

Nowadays BMW just looks like it wants to be Lexus of Germany. And I guess there's nothing wrong with that if you only want to maximize profits. But when all us driving enthusiasts abandon ship, don't be surprised.
Appreciate 0