12-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #34
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmDoubleV View Post
Slight thread hijack but perhaps folks can educate me. On our X1 with 8k miles with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season RT tires the front are at 7/32 and the rears at 6/32. They suck and I see replacing them well before we get 20k miles on them. C'est la vie.

Pirelli says "Run Flat tires have the same mileage warranty as the standard tire line they are part of, up to a maximum of 30,000 miles." So I would think there would be some coverage for their poor life.

However, Pirelli says "This warranty is only valid to the original consumer purchaser, and do not apply to any tires which are mounted as Original Equipment on a new vehicle."

Why would a tire mfg not warranty OEM tires? I find that odd. My local BMW dealer said they might do something if the tire life ends prematurely. Selling me another set is not in the cards. I'll get some non run flats and not ones from Pirelli.
Someone else will need to address your warranty question. In terms of your options? The answer on choices is dependent on whether you purchased or leased the X1....

If you leased it, it must be returned at lease end with (I believe) a minimum of 5mm remaining and a similar rated, run-flat tire to OEM...If you purchased it? Have at it and swap out the run-flats for whatever your heart desires..