View Single Post
      04-18-2024, 02:13 PM   #7880
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
The problem with high density solid state level 4+ charging batteries is that you are dealing with just stupid consumer level voltage and amperage. It only exacerbates grid problems to the next level not to mention it demands every battery be made perfectly times millions.
Compare this to processor manufacturing and usage. Over time less dies are discarded as the processes matured and the issues with operations like heat were "solved". The amount of heat vs processing cycles has gone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I would trust Toyota to "get it right", I just know for a fact that they're not going to be inexpensive. Just a guess, but I think you're far more likely to see this battery technology deployed in some $200k exotic first, like a hypothetical "LFA EV," where every bit of range and performance counts. Then, once they can ramp it and bring costs down, it will finally find its way into lower and middle tier consumer transportation appliance type vehicles.
I stated early adopters will pay for it. Over time costs will come down for a number of reasons. Manufacturing capacity, competition, improving technology, etc..

Think about ICE cars. There have been a number of innovations that used to cost a lot that have become more affordable. I can remember paying huge money for carbon fiber parts, waiting weeks for them to be custom made, and now I can order them from Amazon.
Appreciate 1