View Single Post
      05-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #84
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

I recently bought a cyclocross bike and have really enjoyed going for about a 1.25 hr hard ride after work. Being in school for as long as I was, it's insane how expensive gyms are, also with 1 yr commitments. I've thought about planet fitness, but some aspects turn me off like "no grunt zone". Any recommendations for home gym type stuff? I'm thinking about getting some dumbbells - 25lb set, 35lb set and 15lb set to cover most upper body muscle groups with a bench, should run me about $200-300 depending on the bench, but will be convenient after riding.

Diet wise I've been shopping mostly at costco for easy things like turkey burgers, veggies and some lunch things. Been trying to eat half a bagel (probably bad carbs) with cream cheese and salmon + OJ in the morning and eat a bunch of oranges/apples throughout the day in addition to a good lunch. I'm pretty lazy in the kitchen and tired after rides, so the meals have been pretty bland. I'm absolutely addicted to La Croix sparkling water, and can't really stand soda or any drink with sugar besides OJ.

So far I've lost about 10 pounds over 6 weeks, but some camping trips and other obligations have been getting in the way of the routine. I tried using phone apps to track things but it just gets too tedious. I appreciate the advice here and am open to any suggestions.

I've told myself that once I get to around 180 I'll buy some HRE's (weighed in at 202 this morning), so at least I've got that going for me