11-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #57
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Reasoning in absolutes is a fallacious way of thinking. Consider two true/false questions:

Does an EV produce any emissions at all?

The answer to this question is irrelevant, because we have no mass-market alternatives that produce zero emissions.

Does an EV produce less emissions than a petrol car?

This question is harder to answer, because it depends upon how far back in the life-cycle of the vehicle you want to go. If we scope it to operational emissions (emissions occurring after manufacturing), EV's easily come out ahead. Even the dirtiest of current-generation power plants (i.e., "clean coal") produce a fraction of the emissions per kW when compared to the individual petrol engines in the hundreds of thousands of automobiles in operation.

There are efficiencies involved in mass-production of power that you simply cannot perform in a distributed system. This inequality only gets worse for the ICE as mass-production power facilities become more green.

The arguments over feasibility for city environments are perfectly valid, of course. However, these are matters of infrastructure. No one scratches their head over the fact that cities are dotted with petrol dispensing stations where we bury giant tanks of highly combustible liquid that is clumsily transferred to tanks which we literally sit on top of and drive around. Imagine a world where electric cars were the default. Charging stations would be as ubiquitous as parking meters in cities.

My point is that this is an infrastructure challenge. Yes, it is an impediment to ownership of an EV in the current circumstance, but I don't think that will be the case forever. Given the pace of development for autonomous vehicles, I don't think it will be an issue at all in 5-10 years. Your car will simply drop you off at the curb and drive to a parking garage where it attaches to a charging dock that requires zero human interaction. And that's in cases where you actually own the car. Why not just join your favorite ride-sharing co-op, where you pay a monthly transit fee for access to a fleet of cars that can show up at the curb within a couple of minutes, regardless of where you are.

I'm really charging ahead in to the future here, but my point is that expecting the ICE to be the solution that powers individual transit forever is in stark contrast to current trends.
Aside from the other environmental impacts EVS have that you left out, I've not done the math to validate a statement that post-production emissions is vastly cleaner than gasoline vehicle emissions, so I'll not argue the point until I do the math, but on the surface it's seems plausible. But the point is EVs still pollute and most people think they don’t because there are no tailpipe emissions. Until the battery breakthrough happens where the energy density and costs get somewhere near half that of carbon fuel I think adoption of EVs will still be slow. Also, it’s fine to consider a change in the infrastructure from carbon to electricity but until there is battery technology that allows for rapid recharge coupled with battery longevity, adoption of EVs will be slow.

Nice to think of autonomous vehicles that are your personal taxi, and that may someday work well in cities and suburbs at low speed in controlled drivespace, but I’ll put forth that people with a different drivespace environment will not trust single-vehicle autonomous travel; besides the fact it will kill the automotive manufacturing industry. I say we cut-to-the-chase and just let the Government be responsible for our personal travel, that’ll do wonders for our personal liberty...
Appreciate 0