Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Measuring GDP per capita deflects from the point I am making where energy is required for production and growth. Sure countries with GDP in the <$600,000,000,000 range like Sweden and Norway might be able to rely on the weather to generate much of their power, but we here in the USA we produce WAY more ($16,800,000,000,000 in 2013) than those countries. Solar panels and windmills just aren't close to being able to keep up with our productivity yet.
Ehm. The US is multiple times as large and has a lot bigger population. It may have something to do with the GDP...
If you are to compare countries of different size, gdp per capita is the way to go. If you can't understand why, there's really no point in discussing...

As a side note, since the US is so large compared to the mentioned countries, it of course would be able to use hydro, nuclear, wind and solar for its power.
The point you are missing is the size of our economy is what makes windmills and solar panels incompatible with our desired level of growth right now. It would simply take too many windmills and solar panels to fuel our economy. Now if we were satisfied with negative growth (like some environmental activists desire), we might be able to use only the weather to provide energy.