05-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #53
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Ha - Edmunds picks an IS250 and complains about the power and tires where as you could spec an IS 350 with sport wheels and tires for the same price as the 328i. I think the winner of that comparison would have been different.
More power does not automatically mean better. For the price stated, you could bring an 335i to this fight, it would be faster still than everything. But we saw the 335 vs IS350 vs ATS 3.6 comparo, and guess what, it was faster by a long shot and did NOT win.

It used to be that BMWs were so far from pony cars like Mustangs and Camaros. They were not about straightline, or the most power, but handling.

Now everyone wants to talk about the 335 and how it out muscles its competition in a straight line but gives up to them in steering and handling. Oh-how times have changed.

In this test, they did not just talk about the muscle aspect, the cars were judged and it was not just the straightline advantage of the BMW, it sounds like the 328 was appreciated as an overall package. Which is how people who spend MONEY and not buy magazines or forum bash select cars.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0