View Single Post
      09-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #27
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Ha! I give it 2, maybe 3 months before this also results in being vehemently denied by a BMW spokesperson.

I honestly think that BMW will never release a mid-engined performance car ever again. If they ever venture into the sportscar market again, it will probably be front-engined and RWD. Nothing wrong with that, it's what they've been doing and doing well for how long now.

The ONLY way the world would see a mid-engined performance car with a BMW powerplant in it is if it's another Ascari, or McLaren, or whatever other supercar used BMW oily bits. BMW themselves making a mid-engined performance car? Reckon it will carry an i badge, or it just won't happen.

Besides, how does BMW's plan to phase out internal combustion engines factor into all of these rumors? It's in the next 10 years supposedly? Would BMW really go for this type of car if that plan is strictly being adhered to? Kind of doubt it.
Hybrid? Perhaps. 488 or R8 or Huracan type of 'traditional' supercar? Don't think so.

EDIT: Just to add, if BMW was going to be doing something like this, then it should've been done more than a decade ago. With the strict emissions of today and it just getting stricter, they'd be better off concentrating on that ICE phasing-out plan of theirs. It's a pity, but let's be realistic.
Appreciate 0