08-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Its not a need, more of a fancy actually. But it's one of the things I'd use - for example at a gas station to calculate mileage real quick.

in fact I don't need a watch at all. Just a fancy thing. I've never had a watch but I was thinking it would be cool to have a watch with just these features but it doesn't have to be a smart watch (don't want to get another device that needs regular charging).

What are my options if I decide to go without a calculator but want at least the calendar month view? I did some searching and could not find anything...
Red:
Based on that, I'd say you probably shouldn't bother buying a watch. If you are over 25, you're not in the habit of wearing one and the odds are you won't once the novelty of wearing it wears off. That said, the $15 you'll spend to get one such as the one I suggested won't be big waste of money. So, if you want to indulge yourself, have at it.

Blue:
There are digital watches designed by Philippe Stark that are digital and that display most of the info you want. They are made by Fossil and they have a super sleek, modern look. I doubt there are any that have a calculator.

As for the "cool factor" of a calculator watch, I could be wrong, but I think the "coolness" mostly, and for most people, ebbed in the 1970s or 1980s. I suspect (hope) that you might be beyond the age whereby it might be nifty to be "that guy"who has one the math teacher doesn't know about. I can see how it might be cool for a brief time for pre-teens or even 13 year olds. Assuming you have gotten past that age, about the only way a digital watch will be "cool" is if you have some bonafide need for such a watch.

You don't have to take my word for it. Go into any watch store and observe for yourself the ratio of digital watches they have in comparison to analog ones. As businesses, they are going to stock their store primarily with things that sell well. Things that sell well are the things the buying public considers "cool."

Green:
If you do get the calculator watch and use the calculator function much, you'll be changing the battery at least as often as you would with a smart phone.

Brown:
Your options are about the same with or without a calculator. Such a thing may exist, but good luck finding it. IMO, the hunt for it will be quite a lot of effort to invest for someone who doesn't need a watch, isn't "into watches," and who has never worn one.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0