12-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
You don't need the "trickle-down" technology from a profit-negative supercar when you have an F1 division.

There is no point, fiscally or otherwise. Kudos to BMW for being smart enough to realize that.

Lexus made the LF-A, their other cars still ride like flaccid donkey penis and are styled by the AARP. Acura made the NSX, now you can buy several versions of the Honda Accord with giant chrome grills. The R8 isn't a supercar, the V8 used a "trickle-up" RS-derived engine and the V10 came from Lambo.

It seems that history shows that building a supercar really does nothing for the rest of your line-up.
Actually Honda made the NSX. It was just branded "Acura" here in the US. The general consensus is that Americans like "elite" brands.

You had the same thought that I did, however. I thought more highly of Honda when they had an "interesting" car. The NSX, and even the S2000 that I bought, gave the company at least the appearance of caring about the driving "experience".

Now all that they have are boring econo-boxes. Even if they are rock solid and dependable, there's nothing to get excited about.

The good news is that I can't think of a BMW that isn't designed for the joy of driving. I tend to agree with them that they don't really need a loss leader of a supercar because all of their cars can be a blast.

There isn't an Accord to be found in the BMW stable. That being said, Veyron gives Volkswagon prestige. Just think what a Veyron-type vehicle could do to push BMW into the stratosphere.
Appreciate 0