View Single Post
      08-29-2023, 05:24 PM   #68
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

RocketyMan,

Thanks for posting the explanation above. I am going to attempt to do this in 2 weeks or so. I have a few questions as I prepare. Below is an abbreviated outline of how I was planning to do a couple of the key steps. Can you let me know what you think?

1)Undo the pinch bolt securing the bottom intermediate shaft U joint to the steering rack splined spindle. I was planning on turning the steering wheel / shaft it into position to access the E12 bolt via the hole in driver wheel well as outlined on the first page.

2)Then after loosening the bolt I was going to return the steering wheel back to being centered and remove the rack from there based on previous posts about steering wheel needing to be centered. Perhaps this is mistaken. I've read about securing steering wheel centered but I don't quite know how one gets to the bolt that way unless it accessible after removing the airbox.

3)Replace with new rack, making sure to recreate / align the centering tab triangle on the black plastic cover on the new rack with the old rack's triangle position if the steering wheel isn't centered. If the steering wheel is centered then my understanding is to align the triangle with the metal tab / bump on the rack housing that indicates the rack being centered.

3)Somehow get the intermediate shaft u joint to slip back onto the new steering rack (this is the part I am most unsure about - did you hold it from below as you slid the rack into place?).

4)Turn steering wheel / steering shaft back into position where E12 bolt can be accessed if required. This assumes that once the U joint and steering rack spindle are joined they will move with each other prior to the bolt being tightened down.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.

Last edited by For3; 08-29-2023 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0