06-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #98
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
Thanks man....and of course, I was only asking informally to see what your background was because you're obviously well-versed on the subject.

After being an average 165lb (i'm 5'9.5), my late night ice cream and snacking binges after 10pm have caused me to shoot up to 180lb+...this all happened within the last year. I stopped going to the gym, continued to snack, and now here I am.

Now I'm back in the gym after a multitude of injuries (neck, knee, shoulder), and i'm excited about being sore again.

I'd like to add deadlifts to my normal routine...can you either explain proper form or link me to a good video that would supplement your advice?
I'm the exact same height as you down to the half inch, lol. I have a much bigger build mostly from my powerlifting days. I have about 170-175 pounds of lean body mass alone.

Deadlifts are a fantastic life to add to your routine. They work a ton of muscle groups specifically in your legs and lower back. They're one of the best lifts for losing weight too because you're using some of the biggest muscle groups in your body.

There are two ways to deadlift: conventional and sumo. You can youtube both, but essentially:

conventional: feet shoulder width, hands directly outside your legs
sumo: feet as wide as possible (you can play with this some), arms hang directly down.

I started deadlifting conventionally and ultimately moved to sumo style after reaching a plateau around 525. My powerlifting career ended as a result of an injury (oddly enough related to baseball).

My best advice is this: when you’re first starting out, work with a very very light weight. Learn the form first, and then worry about your 1-rep max.

-Get the weight off the ground with your legs. The biggest mistake people make is locking their knees out too soon. At that point you’re lifting with your back which is a recipe for injury.
-Keep the bar as close to your body as possible at all times. I have scars on my shins from digging the bar into them. You can wear tall socks to combat this.
-Legs first, leg/back mid way, lock the lift out with your back. Basically the weight should move in unison with the muscle groups you’re using.
-I’d highly advise using a belt when you deadlift particularly a thick belt with a lot of support. It will help alleviate strain on your back which is very important. I never trained with any other equipment other than a belt.
I personally used this one although a single prong is much easier to take off (I’d cinch the hell out of mine): http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....RBELT_BUCKLE13
-Give yourself about 5 times in the gym doing deadlifts before you go anywhere past 75% of your max.
-When you get the form down you can eventually do elevated deadlifts (I used to stand on 100 lbs plates) and straight leg deadlifts (your knees are locked the entire time). Train very light with these as you’re using your back much more than your legs.
Appreciate 0