06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #93
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanE92 View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but this is what worked for me... I've never had a bmi that said I was obese. I have an average metabolism, but my favorite foods happen to be the worst crap you can imagine. Calorie counting is important but isn't all that matter. It's what you eat and when as well. Try to eat something in the morning that is a real whole grain.. I like steel cut oatmeal or toast made from a Europeon whole grain bread with greek yogurt sauce instead of butter. It really is important to eat in the morning, and as little alcohol as possible. Alcohol slows your metabolism for up to a day, even a beer or two. You also need to excercise evey day if you want a calorie defecit, 3500 calories equals 1 pound of fat, so burning 500 calories a day is 1 pound lost a week through excercise. You also can't lose just stomach fat, fat is lost all over the body at the same time. Ab excercises alone will only build muscle under the fat. So try to eat reguarly (losing weight takes effort), excercise daily or 6x per week, lots of water, no simple carbs or processed foods and eat 1300-1600 calories a day depending on your RMR (resting metabolic rate, calculators online). The pounds will melt away. Also invest in a heart monitor and keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone, theres lots of info online. When your heart rate gets too high, it's great for your lungs and stamina, but you actually burn less calories per hour. Hope I was helpful.
It worked for you so that’s great. However, just because it works doesn't mean it's good advice.

1.) BMI means nothing. My before and after pictures are in this thread on one of the previous pages. My “after” picture put me deep into the “obese” category at 10.5% body fat. BMI does not account for lean body mass.

2.) Calorie counting is all that matters in the end. You are correct with your advice that it’s good to eat in the morning. However, that is to keep you from becoming lethargic and jumpstarting your metabolism early which essentially goes right back to calories.

3.) 1 or 2 beers is not going to slow down your metabolism. There’s evidence to suggest that even 6+ beers does not slow down your metabolism. Furthermore, there is evidence to suggest that protein is metabolized quicker with beer/alcohol consumption. That’s not a good thing, but let’s be more specific when we say that 1-2 beers slows down metabolism....it doesn't. Keep your drinking to a minimum. 1-2 drinks is perfectly fine, just make sure to add the calories to your total daily consumption.

4.) You don’t need to exercise every day to keep a caloric deficit. In fact "exercising" is completely unnecessary in regards to weight loss. It simply increases the level of burned calories. WEIGHT LIFTING is the key aside from a strong diet. I've mentioned the many benefits in previous posts.

5.) 1300-1600 calories would be a good place to start if you weight less than 150 pounds. The better advice would be to start with your weight x10 as suggested below then adjust based on progress.

6.) Your comment about your heart rate being too high is flat out untrue. When your heart rate goes too high your body resorts to burning carbohydrates instead of fat as a quicker source of energy. Running for an hour is still much better than walking for an hour, but at the cost of being much tougher. That's why walking is good because it’s extremely easy and maximizes fat calories burned rather than carbs.

I’m glad your diet worked for you, but you could have made some serious changes to your plan in order to see better results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
This thread is full of great info (and some not-so-great) -- however, the OP I believe is asking about burning 'low stomach' fat because he's looking for a six pack. The bottom line there is <10% body fat... nothing else matters, no amount of situps on their own will get you there if you don't also lose the fat.

As far as losing the fat goes -- calorie theory FTW. I've recently lost 50lbs in only a few months by barely modifying my diet choices at all and simply reducing overall caloric intake by eating less of whatever food I used to eat before. A good rule of thumb (though not strictly accurate) is to eat 100 calories for every 10lbs of body weight you want (not counting exercise). So if you want to weigh 150lbs, eat 1500 calories and you'll maintain it. If you're also exercising too, you can and should account for that extra caloric burn.

Just my $0.02.
Good simple advice that was well said. I completely agree.
Appreciate 0