View Single Post
      10-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

IFing, Paleo, Atkins, Keto, Jenny Craig, etc...the overall target of any legit weight loss diet is to create a calorie deficit and to get the body to use fat as an energy source.

When you fast, you have an energy dificit in your body. The instant you actually eat food, you get a massive energy boost. Some of this boost is actual physical energy, but some is mental energy as a result of dopamine release in the brain. I would suspect that energy from IFing to be more related to that rapid surge, and not from having more overall stored energy in the body.

Maybe IFing is more controlled, but a friend of mine used to be a competition body builder and always doles out this advice: Treat your body like a machine, not a rocket. Machines need constant energy, rockets need one massive surge. The comment was about maintaining a consistent controlled diet vs just binge eating and then skipping meals.
You will have consistent and predictable results if you maintain a consistent diet throughout the day, hit your macros, eat healthy food, and stay within your calorie threshold. If you look at the guys in the Olympia, they all eat like clockwork throughout the day. They treat their bodies like machines, and that's how they get down to 5% or less body fat.

Whether you IF or not is up to you, since yes, everyone's body is different. It also depends a lot of your caloric intake. If you are in the 3500-4000cal range, it would be pretty hard to get that much into your system in a 7hr time span and still have it all be quality, healthy food. That's why I have skepticism with this diet. Much like Paleo, I question whether this is another fly-by-night trend supported by anecdotal accounts as opposed to empirical data.
I'm not saying "don't do it", but rather to just maintain some objectivity and perspective if you decide to.

Last edited by reedo302; 10-07-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0