View Single Post
      03-07-2024, 11:45 AM   #5
Saku241
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
The parking brake works the same in both directions. So it should be a transmission issue, not the parking brake. You know you don't have to put it on the parking brake every time, don't you? So try without it.

The parking brake is implemented differently from the main brakes: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1972. Also, there is a maintenance advice to keep it going strong: see the manual, page 61. Also, it should not be used for prolonged period of time, especially in winter as the pads/shoes can freeze. Actually it only has to be used in addition to the transmission's parking mode (and a slight turn of the wheels towards off the road) on a steep slope.
Cmon… it’s clearly not a transmission problem… transmission doesn’t make metal sound like parking brake applied… PLUS the sound comes from my rear wheels and I know of course parking brake works in both directions… I just tell you that it solves the problem and I don’t know why but it does

And of course you SHOULD always use your parking brake… even on a flat surface… you don’t want your transmission being the only thing keeping your car from moving, it puts a load on the parking pawl.

I don’t use parking brake on long period of time… I work everyday and I use my car everyday.

Also FYI you can’t do without your transmission parking mode… as soon as you turn off engine, parking mode turns on automatically

If you want to know the correct procedure, you have to maintain brake pedal, put in neutral, apply parking brake, release brake pedal then turn on transmission parking mode so the load will be on the parking brake and not the transmission…
Appreciate 0