09-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Correct. And it would be perfectly fine if you are speaking German and pronounce it as such. To spell it out as pheonetically as possible in English, it's pronounced POGH-sheh, with a throaty gutteral sound replacing the "r."

But when someone's speaking English, they sound retarded pronouncing Porsche as if they're speaking German, especially when they don't apply the same rule to other makes (not to mention reverting back to the English pronouciation of "Carrera", too). How many people do you encounter who pronounce Mazda as MAT-su-DA while speaking English?
This is true. But when speaking English, do you pronounce quesadilla as "kay-suh-DILL-uh"? Or does it sound retarded when someone says "keh-sah-DEE-ya"

What about when people pronounce Audi like "AH-dee"? Do they sound retarded when they say "OUW-dee"? etc.

But you're right. I don't call Honda "HOWN-da" when speaking English...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328pride View Post
I say "I drive a BM"...as in Bee-Em. I guess, Americans don't really understand what 'BM' really is. When I tell my friends that, they say "what?". I know 'BM' is understood as BMW in many places outside of the US
BM is what I would leave in my diaper, according to my grandma.
Appreciate 0