View Single Post
      04-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #80
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
The MCT doesn't sit in this category. It behaves like a torque convertor as it should because even though it has clutches instead of TC, more or less it follows the same philosophy.
The MCT isn't as good (i.e., not as quick when responding to either upshift or downshift commands) as BMW's DCT in M Mode.

That doesn't mean it's slow or a bad transmission. The DCT is a fantastic transmission that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Audi's DSG and Porsche's PDK.

What's impressive about the MCT is the fact that MB built it in house. Furthermore, the automatic modes (C, S, and S+) are brilliant. In S and S+, you get rev matching on downshifts and great responsiveness. The transmission's automatic modes are every bit as good as those associated with the ZF 8-speed "Sport Auto." that I had in my old F30 (and I loved that transmission).

I've found that C Mode is more comfortable/less jerky around town than the comparable/respective mode found with the DCT.

Most importantly, the MCT-equipped cars don't suffer quite as much power loss as the cars equipped with the old torque converter-equipped automatic transmissions.

They've also ripped off slightly but noticeably quicker 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times than the pre-MCT cars.

Finally, the Race Start feature made possible by the MCT is nice to have around. It's simple to use and consistent.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0