06-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #86
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Some good advice and some broscience stuff giving in this thread, and I’d like to share mine.

Losing weight is a fairly simple mathematical process, but executing it requires hard work, understanding and dedication that's the hard part.

My first passion is fitness, nutrition and bodybuilding, I always like to help others achieve their goals.

Losing fat around your stomach area is the last place where you will lose unwanted fat. Think of it this, your mid section of your body is the centre gravity of your body. When you start to lose weight you will notice you will start to lose weight from your head to down and from your toes up. There is no way around this but to diet.

To lose weight and maintain as much muscle as possible you need to be on a calorie deficit, meaning below a calorie maintenance. How do I work out what my calorie deficit is?

Simple! I like to use the Harris Benedict formula there are many formulas to work this out but I like to use this, a lot has recommended it from bodybuilding.com.

Example

Age - 30
Weight - 160lbs 72.5kgs
Height - 5’9
Bodyfat – 15%

We need to work out BMR(Basal Metabolic Rate) = 1735

(If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55

BMR 1735 x 1.55 = 2689.

Now if you want to lose weight you should minus 500 (its debatable how much but for argument sake we will leave it at 500) calories from 2689 = 2189

You should consume 2189 per day to lose weight.

And if you want to take it to another level, to get some decent abs appearing imo you need to be below 10% bf. So, 16% bf – 10 = 7% so you need to lose 7% to reach that goal.

72.5kgs – 7% = 5kg / 0.5 = 10. It would take you about 10 weeks if you were to lose 0.5kgs a week.

A few other factors your should consider when dieting, you should try and hit 1g of fat per kilo, 1g of protein per pound, carbs should be enough to hit your daily calorie intake. Fibre is also important some call this a mirconutrient but I consider this just as important as my marconutrients. About 10g of fibre per 1000 calories. As long as you do that and incorporate training, lifting you’re bound to lose weight.

In terms of what foods to eat, this is also debateable clean foods vs dirty foods.

I have the best of both worlds, if you understand your macronutrients you can eat whatever you want in moderation (IIFYM I love and swear by this, works fo rme). I’m cutting shredded/leaning up for a Vegas trip. Everyday I have Golden Crumpets with Nutella, I count the calories and macros and incorporate this into my daily calorie intake and macronutrients and I am still losing weight. I don’t have a fast metabolism I just know how the body works. I get all my food nutrient information from calorieking.com it’s a great source of information and has almost every food in there a human can eat.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to clean foods vs dirty foods, its personal preference. But if I can diet and lose weight getting pizzas, maccas, chocolate, ice cream. I know what I’d prefer to do. But that is up to you.

Also, refeed. Refeed is high carb day, eat much carbs as you want unlimited, little to no fats and protein for one day. This is important with someone with lower bodyfat%, his helps raise Leptin, after a calorie deficit for so long you don’t want to damage your metabolic rate. This is why refeed is important and is usually done once a week. But this is another story to tell.

Hope this helps

And good luck with your goals mate.
Appreciate 0