05-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
You can't pick and choose which body parts you want to make "bigger".

You need a well rounded routine otherwise you will look like an idiot with rounded shoulders from too much chest and not enough back and rear delt movements.
I disagree on these points. Perhaps his chest is lagging compared to the rest of his body? While I agree that there is no such thing as spot treatment for losing fat (crunches will not get you a 6-pack), there's nothing wrong with working certain muscle groups harder than others.

My current workout routine does not include lifting my legs heavy. However, I was a former powerlifter so my lower body is very unproportional to my upper body. As a result, a 5-day split for me includes only 1 day of very light leg lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
If you have very little body fat, which it sounds like you do. The cardio you are doing is being counter productive for building muscle. Its ok to do some cardio, but keep it to a minimum or its going to keep your progress at a stand still.
Exactly. Cardio ultimately will increase your overall level of health and metabolism. In those regards it's beneficial. However, with the goal you mentioned in mind, cardio will arguably hinder your progress with gaining muscle mass. Have you ever seen a professional marathon runner who weighed more than about 140 lbs?
Appreciate 0