05-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #60
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
A decent Rolex is going to be priced at $20K+ while most Omega watches are around $1 to $4K. Very different league between a Rolex and Omega.

One thing is for sure about the Omega brand is that they hold value very well. I had a Omega Seamaster that I purchased in 2007 for $1,900 and sold it a few weeks ago at Torneau for $1,100. I'm sure Rolex are pretty good too.

I currently wear my Omega Planet Ocean that I purchased in 2008 for $3,750 which is in great condition.
You really should refrain from making assertions such as that one, for which there is zero support. Among uncomplicated Rolex Oysters, the only meaningful differences are:
  • the size of the watch itself
  • the metals from which they are constructed
  • the styling options and defaults
  • in the case of the Milgauss, the presence of a Faraday cage inside the case
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Rolex-Mo...s-and-Calibers

Even moving to Oysters having complications, one need not at all spend $20K to get a "decent" Oyster. Truly, I don't even think the Rolex Cellini models, which offer more lavish movement decoration and styling costs $20K (new). Indeed, for $20K one has enough to buy a Cellini Time, uncomplicated, dress Rolex and a steel Submariner or other uncomplicated Oyster.

As far as most intrinsic concerns go, the only substantive difference between a Rolex Oyster and a comparable Omega is the price. In terms of intangible factors that matter to some serious collectors, Omegas having co-axial escapement movements have the far more horologically and technically notable movement inside. Among vintage pieces, there are certainly more Rolex models that are in greater demand, but that demand has more to do with what Rolex has done for itself, both in terms of (1) securing a solid reputation for making tough, work horse movements and cases, and (2) in inuring itself among the upper middle classes as the benchmark against which all others are measured than it does with the watches themselves being particularly special in a horological sense.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 05-06-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0