View Single Post
      06-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #21
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

You'll need to find what works for you. Finnegan has a great detailed program that seem like a good place to aim for.

In my case I've never gotten that detailed about ratios as my experience says it's unnecessary. Until 4 years ago at age 47 I was a marathoner that took his running seriously and managed to progressively get faster each year as a master. I ate a high proportion of carbs, plenty of protein and very little processed foods while staying well hydrated. When I started running nine years before that I was 180 pounds. At my lightest in '05 I was 149 just before the Chicago marathon where I ran my fastest race. My body fat was 7.5%. I ate what I wanted as long as it was reasonably healthy. I just pounded out more and more volume. I did nothing but run so no strength training or anything for my upper body at all other than 2x20 minutes on my core weekly.

Unfortunately my body can't take the physical punishment of pounding the pavement anymore. I'm still at 164 pounds doing 1/3 of the volume and a fraction of the intensity.

I would ensure you're mixing up your workouts- intensity/duration etc so that your body is being challenged regularly and not plateauing. You need to break it down a bit further once or twice a week and allow enough time to repair and recover for the next harder sessions.

To echo what Finnegan said- have fun. If you don't you won't stick with it.
Appreciate 0