TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302 View Post
Except Mercrdes offers its customers cars like the SLS AMG and V12/black series models of most of their top cars. Audi on the other hand has a V10 supercar and the S8. What does BMW have?

If Mercedes and Audi are going downmarket they are also going upmarket at the same time. If BMW "needs" money from FWD vehicles to build higher end cars, then where is the new 8 series, Z8 or M1? Instead we BMW fans get a 3cyl "me too" sports car that will get walked by Mustangs and Camaros.
Fair opinion. But Mercedes and Audi can only build those because they simply have backing from a parent company. Now maybe I'm thinking about this from an average consumer and because I know I'll never be able to afford cars like a R8 or a SLS and perhaps BMW is thinking the same way. BMW has already stated that they won't make a halo super car because the percentage of people out there that would buy such a car is minuscule.

Now if you're in that tax bracket that could afford the super and hyper cars, I apologize, but I'd rather see BMW invest into things that will eventually fall into cars that the average consumer could afford instead of cars that only one percent can afford. We're already seeing that with CFRP. As for the i sub brand, sure it may only look like a textbook exercise today, but like it or not, this is the future of automobiles and I'm glad that BMW is investing into it now. If you're in the position to be able to get such a car out as a volume seller, why wouldn't you? I'm not against super and hyper cars, but as an average consumer, what's there to gain other than to engage in fanboy wars arguing who has the best super car that most of can't even afford? There are specific marques out there that can satisfy your 800HP+ needs.

Right now, I think BMW is in a type of transition stage. We know CFRP is going to take off and maybe the technology used in the i-brand will too. BMW is in the position to provide those to other companies vs. having to source them from someone or somewhere else. I will take the former. From there, who knows what happens in the future but BMW has set up the groundwork for themselves.
Appreciate 0