Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Your feisty ... I like it
Yes, I'm trying to be as nice as I can.
Quote:
I, we use EVs at work and the use case doesn't work for what we need as they pushed it on us. I've moved on from a M5 to a 23 M3 actually and am looking forward to the next gen hybrid M5.

Also, I had an IX on order but it got stuck at port and gave me more time to get into the details and my use case.

I've driven and used Tesla's and a few of other EVs.
There's a difference between driving an EV and living with it (5 years now).
Quote:
Again missing my point 99% of American aren't going to have a Tesla and or a solar roof. 90% of American isn't going to be able to afford a solar roof big enough to power a (that's energy efficient too) home and charge a car.
This is obviously incorrect. Of course, low income households will be left behind, just like they are being left behind with any advances this country makes, from clean air to internet access to education to healthcare. However, household solar is very affordable. Most importantly, whether or not you use the energy to charge the car, it pays for itself - and quickly. In my case, I'm actually never going to be in the red. Tesla offers 10 year loans with 10% down, I'm going to get more than my downpayment back from grandpa Joe when I file my taxes in January, and then my savings on the electrical bill will be almost equal to my monthly payment on the loan. Once the loan is paid off, it's free money.
Quote:
The idea that solar roof is going to be enough to charge an EV is false for the average person. It maybe for 80 miles of range a day if you have the ability to store 20kwh again 90%.

90% of America isn't going to be satisfied with the current ability to charge.
90% of America drives less than 80 miles a day. 90% of America can find an affordable deal that would include a pair of Powerwalls or equivalent batteries from a competitor.
Quote:
In his case that is true but if your in AZ with the temps which average 98 degrees in the summer and 70 degrees in the winter it's likely your not coming ahead or.... you live in the NW with tons of cloud coverage.
AZ is the ideal place for solar. Sunny days, little seasonal variation. Consistent power supply for the ACs. Northwest has less sun but also less heating or cooling needs
Quote:
Or the fact that you run an electric heater vs gas in the winter and have colder temps. In his use case he runs off natural gas for heat vs an electric furnace.
No sane person would combine a solar system with an electric furnace. Heat pumps are affordable, have tons of subsidies or rebates from the utilities, and are cheaper to run than even a natural gas system.

Look. I understand you're hitting me with your best arguments now. And still they keep missing the mark because your understanding of the technology doesn't go deeper than Youtube videos or conservative propaganda. For example, if you had known better, you wouldn't have tried to use AZ or WA as "bad places" for grid independence. AZ is just obviously the perfect place for that. WA is fine, not terrible. In reality it's the East Coast, where Marques and I live, that has it worse than most places. We run ACs a lot because summers are not just hot but also humid. We still get plenty of cold days that only the newest models of heat pumps can handle (you don't want to know last winter's natural gas charges, ugh) We don't get many more sunny days than Seattle - and even when it's sunny, the haze from humidity affects solar production. We're far enough from the equator to have short winter days with sun low in the sky (rated power x cos(incidence angle)).

But even here solar systems make money for their owners.
Appreciate 2
co_440i112.50