07-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #70
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
For those that think this is acceptable, do know that this is just the tip of the iceberg for a new trend. I'm sure this was an investors' decision anyway, but big powerful companies with record-setting profits only want one thing: more money.

For the first few years, I'm sure the cars coming from Mexico would be high quality and well made like the German counterparts. But over time, things will reveal itself. Management in BMW Mexico will become corrupt just like their government. Examples include:

- Accepting bribes from suppliers (to ensure their parts get sourced over competitors)
- Cutting corners to reduce cost, and make their accounting book look good to headquarters

I've seen this happen in China. We had to cut partnership with several Chinese companies because of these EXACT reasons. I'm sure the average Mexican citizen is hard working and honest, but there's a reason why despite all these years, it remains a poor and corrupt country.
I'm sorry about your China experience but it is a fact thousands of businesses globally work reliably with Chinese and/or Mexican partners.

There is no reason this cannot work.

Mexico, by the way is a middle-income country. Far from poor. Far from fully developed, too.

We do have a corruption problem, mainly in government. It can and will improve over time just as it has in many other countries around the world as incomes, education, and regulation improves.
Appreciate 0