06-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #76
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Diagnosed next week? I'd keep smoking if it wasn't too painful to do so. Most folks thusly diagnosed don't last more than a year, or at least that's my understanding.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I just wanted to provide more quantifiable data around this comment.

There are two types of lung cancer: Small Cell Lung Cancer and Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. Survival rates and prognosis are typically measured to the 5 year mark for each stage:
IA - 49%
IB - 45%
IIA - 30%
IIB - 31%
IIIA -14%
IIIB - 5%
IV - 1% - now these later stages are when your cancer has metastasized

A large portion of those who are diagnosed with lung cancer are found in middle stages due to the indolent nature of their (adeno)carcinoma. and treatment then moves away from a curable intent and becomes more palliative.
Of 208,000 people diagnosed with NSCLC each year about 158,000 of them will die within 5 years.

In regard to e-cigs, I'm not trying to judge anyone who chooses to smoke them. What I will tell you is that the FDA is challenging the makers to prove their claims that they are indeed safer than traditional cigarettes. The FDA will soon be regulating these along with smokeless tobacco, hookah, etc. and when that happens, the prices will shoot through the roof I guarantee. So stock up now before the regulations come down.
Don't believe me? Read here: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm394667.htm

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-05-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0