View Single Post
      01-19-2024, 09:24 AM   #5
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
It sounds like you are wanting the absolute best service possible, and that will NOT be at a COSTCO! You need to find the specialty tire shop that does all the exotic cars in your area, but you're going to pay for it! This is what I do for my expensive discontinued wheel sets. It costs me 360 dollars to mount and balance four tires, but there is zero damage. I hate it, but that's life. Don't go to Costco. Spend several hundred extra dollars and go to the tire shop that your local exotic car dealerships use.
I wish I could do that, but...

There are very few exotic dealers here. All the front line dealers have their own tire shops now. The second tier dealers that don't have a tire shop hire a mobile service to come out to their site. Those guys go to one location for an entire day and handle 50-60 swaps - they're not going to head out to the country for one set of tires.

Also, the lone shop that I would have trusted with this work - and I've used them countless times before - is in another town about 40 miles from Costco. If Costco allowed shipping to outside shops I would have sent the order their way and that would have been then end of it. But I was only allowed to pick the Costco location where I wanted to go. If I cancel the tire service and pick the tires up, I'd either have to load them in my X, drive them to the tire shop, then come back with the M... or else take two trips driving the M back and forth. I don't have the energy or the time for that these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
The correct way to balance a tire the best is to have the tire road force balanced. This method offsets the 'heaviest' points of the wheel and tire that helps to counter balance them, which allows you to use fewer lead wheel weights to get the balance correct.
I don't know anything about road force balancing other than it's supposed to be the hot ticket for high speed without vibration. On the other hand, your description of it sounds like it's just a different way to get to the same result. In the case of match-mounting, the tire is marked so that it can be aligned with the valve stem so that the lightest part of the wheel is matched with the heaviest part of the tire. Or maybe I have that backwards. Whichever way its done, it's supposed to use the least amount of balancing weight out of all other possible ways of indexing the tire.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0