View Single Post
      03-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #177
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Wow so many people taking a harmless ad so seriously.... Like stated previously, its intention was to get people to notice them, and to consider them a true peer of BMW and Mercedes.

...and look at what we have here because of it.... A 9 page thread giving them nothing but attention. Looks like their plan is working. That being said, any enthusiast would have scoffed at the fact that they were basing their entire argument on three C&D reviews, which means nothing. But it is clever advertising aimed at the general public, and I bet it's doing really good things for them. They do build good cars, and they are right there on par with BMW and Mercedes. Another thing I've noticed is that they tend to be right-on with their stereotypes of other brand owners... Gives me a good laugh; makes me think about a lot of you guys.

One of the first things I thought after that commercial was about how brands will lose money to bring a car like the R8 into production. I don't believe Audi did lose money on the project, but it's really effective to have a flagship like that, even if the project is expected to be in the red at best.

All in all, there's nothing wrong with Audis today. They are good cars. That really can't be argued, and mention of carbon buildup is ridiculous, as many of the owners here are running into that issue themselves, and it's going to be an issue for anyone who keeps this car for a good period of time. The DI system will assure that. Just seafoam the damn thing and you're good.

If anything, maybe Audi stealing sales will force BMW to give its owners fully-baked instead of half-baked solutions (*cough* HPFP *cough*). Competition can and will benefit the consumer. Period.
Appreciate 0